If you are the soul who loves to go all out for Halloween, covering your home in creepy cobwebs, witchy vibes, broomsticks and ghoulish décor, then add the final touch to the spooky magic with a Black Magic cocktail.
Make black vodka for a crowd: mix up a bottle with a good few drops of food colouring. Seal and store it in the fridge
For a Tequila Sunrise effect with the cauldron black and red rising from the bottom, allow the grenadine to sink to the base and don’t stir
To make up your black vodka, pour 60 ml of vodka into a mason jar, add a drop of black food colouring, seal and shake until its fully combined. If you want it darker, add another drop of colouring
Pour the vodka into collins or highball glass and add the grenadine
Add a handful of ice and top up with soda
Garnish with a cherry and enjoy!
Spellbinding ingredients for a Black Magic cocktail
Black Magic cocktail ingredients may seem spooky but let’s unpack this surprisingly easy drink. Start with the vodka: while black vodka is hard to come by, you can easily make your own by mixing black food colouring into your chosen vodka and use in all of your Halloween cocktails. It does make messy drinking, but a black tongue was part of your witch costume, right? We recommend choosing a citrus or tropical flavour-infused vodka, like Skyy Vodka, to complement the rest of the ingredients.
For your lemon and lime soda, either pick your favourite store-bought version or make your own quickly by adding a squeeze of fresh lemon and lime juice to a bottle of club soda. Finish with a tablespoon or two of simple syrup to sweeten it up.
Last by not least is the grenadine. If you don’t have a bottle of grenadine on your shelf, this easy-to-come-by red syrup is a good store cupboard item to have on hand if you have started dabbling in cocktail making. When picking one, just take a close look at the ingredients and choose one with natural ingredients, if possible, for your Black Magic drink.
To switch up your Black Magic cocktail and make it even more ghostly, try our tips below:
- For a gruesome Black Magic cocktail, use a paintbrush to dollop drips of grenadine on the rim off the glass for the dripping blood effect
- Make a lychee eyeball, dip a blueberry in grenadine and squeeze it into a peeled lychee, skewer it onto a toothpick (skull or skeleton topped ones for more evil) and allow the grenadine to bleed out, you can always drop a few in the glass
- For cauldrons more Black Magic drink fun, try mixing this up using different flavoured vodka like a Skyy Infusions Pineapple or Skyy Infusions Watermelon
- For something sparkly, try adding edible glitter dust to swirl in with your grenadine
- Try out alternatives on the fizzy front like ginger ale or fun flavoured tonics.