What is a Pornstar Martini anyway?
This now-famous Pornstar Martini cocktail was invented in early 2000 by Douglas Ankrah – a London bartender. He was inspired by the smell of a stripper’s perfume at a popular ‘gentleman’s club’ in Cape Town, South Africa. He named the cocktail a “Pornstar Martini” because he thought that this drink is exactly what a pornstar would order. When you see this retro cocktail, you’d probably be able to imagine that scenario too.
Read next: 12 Easy Dry January Mocktails for a Tasty Reset
Why you’ll love this Pornstar Martini Mocktail recipe
This virgin martini just works. The original Pornstar Martini is made with vanilla vodka, passionfruit liqueur, and lime juice. But it’s got a fun twist that you don’t really see with classic martinis. It’s served with a sidecar of Prosecco. Oh, how we love a bubbly moment!
To make the Pornstar Martini mocktail you’re going to replace the liqueur with passionfruit purée and juice. Instead of vanilla vodka, use a non-alcoholic vodka (yeah, it’s an actual thing!) or leave it out completely. Finally, be sure to serve this alcohol-free martini with a sidecar of non-alcoholic Prosecco for that final touch of pizzazz. This pornstar mocktail will look naked without it! We promise you; your non-drinking friends will feel totally glamorous if you serve them this Martini mocktail.
Also good to know! Raise a Glass to History’s Most Fashionable Cocktails
What you’ll need to make a Pornstar Martini Mocktail
While this mocktail sounds like hard work, it’s a lot easier than you think. First up, let’s chat about some of the ingredients:
- Passionfruit purée: you can buy this at the store, but if you have 10 minutes to spare and some ripe passionfruit at home, make your own. Cut some passionfruit in half. Scoop the flesh out into a strainer, and push the pulp through. The idea is to be left with passionfruit purée without any seeds. It really is as easy as that!
- Non-alcoholic vodka: even though there’s no alcohol in it, it still has the same flavor you’d expect from a normal vodka
- Grenadine: grenadine is bright red, sweet and tart, non-alcoholic syrup made from pomegranates. You can easily make this at home. Combine two cups of pomegranate juice with 2 cups of sugar in a saucepan on the stove. Bring to the boil and stir until the sugar has dissolved. Reduce the heat, pop the lid on, and simmer for another 5 to 10 minutes. remove from the heat and once cooled completely, pour the syrup into a clean bottle. Add a few drops of orange water, seal, and store in the fridge.
When it comes to the tools for this Martini mocktail, it’s pretty straightforward. You’ll need a cocktail shaker, a jigger, a fine strainer (so you can double strain the drink) and a martini glass, and a shot glass.
How do you make a non-alcoholic Pornstar Martini?
Now that you know everything about the ingredients you’ll be using, making this impressive Pornstar Martini mocktail will be easier than ever.
Top tips in making a Pornstar Martini Mocktail
Every decent recipe has a few tricks and this virgin martini is no different:
- The skin of a passionfruit can be quite tough so make sure your knife is sharp.
- One passionfruit should give you around two tablespoons (or one ounce) of purée.
- Use any excess passionfruit puree in a smoothie or as a yogurt topping for breakfast.
- To get that iconic foam on top of your Pornstar Martini Mocktail, make sure you shake the drink for long enough, otherwise, you won’t get it to foam.
- If you can’t find non-alcoholic Prosecco, use some sparkling apple juice instead.
- Make sure you use cubed ice in the cocktail shaker. Anything smaller and your mocktail will be overly diluted.
Oh, and if you’re into the mocktail trend, read our Beginner’s Guide to Mocktails, to discover how to shake your favorite cocktail into a mocktail and our list of some of the best mocktails for more alcohol-free inspiration.