Calling all apple pie lovers! Get ready for one of the best autumn cocktails you can make this season. With the crisp taste of apple and the warming effects of moonshine whiskey, the Apple Pie Moonshine cocktail is exactly what you need to serve on an icy cold day.
The Best Apple Pie Moonshine Drink for Autumn
PREP TIME 5 min
For an extra burst of spicy cinnamon flavour, use a teaspoon of infused simple syrup instead of ground cinnamon.
Once opened, apple cider should last in your fridge for around 7 – 10 days. When the cider turns darker and has a vinegar-like smell, it’s time to throw it out.
Brush your apple slices with lemon juice to keep them from browning.
Half-fill a cocktail shaker with ice
Add all the ingredients (except the apple slices and caramel)
Shake for around 30 seconds or until ice cold
If you want to go the extra mile, drizzle caramel into a mason jar or highball glass
Strain the liquid into your ice-filled serving glass and drop in a few apple slices and a cinnamon stick
What is an Apple Pie Moonshine cocktail?
If you think the Apple Pie Moonshine owes its name to Earth’s glowing satellite, you might have to think twice. In fact, Moonshine was originally a spirit distilled secretively, to avoid paying taxes on alcohol after the American Revolution. This spirit was harsh to consume and required a steel palate, that’s why over time its producers started diluting this whiskey with fruity flavours like cherry, blackberry and the most popular apple pie. The moonshine you find today on shelves are totally legal and delicious!
Apple Pie Moonshine cocktail ingredients
There are endless options to consider while you’re figuring out what to mix Apple Pie Moonshine with. Mixing up, tasting, (and sometimes pouring out) drinks is half the fun of cocktail making. If your creations work, bottoms up! If not, try again. Keep going until you reach that ‘a-ha’ moment. And when you do, make sure you write down every single ingredient. Magic doesn’t happen every day. So, let’s chat about the Apple Pie Moonshine cocktail ingredients:
- First up is apple liqueur. When choosing one, we suggest an apple forward schnapps. Made with Granny Smith apples, it will add a crispy and slightly tart taste, and won’t be overly sweet.
- Next up is the apple cider – and you want to keep this in your fridge. When choosing a bottle, look for an apple cider that’s low in sugar and free of any artificial flavours. Fresh is best, and you’ll know it’s starting to turn if it becomes darker, starts frothing, or has a sour vinegar taste. When that happens, throw it out (or make a salad).
- The original recipe calls for apple pie-flavoured moonshine, but you can use a non-flavoured version and amp up the recipe with apple schnapps instead.
When you combine apple liqueur, cider, and moonshine with some cinnamon and vanilla in a mason jar for some seriously delicious apple country vibes.
Expert tips for making the Apple Pie Moonshine cocktail
- Every cocktail has some tips and tricks to make it better and the Apple Pie Moonshine is no different. Here are a few handy tips to keep in mind when mixing up these delicious apple-flavoured drinks.
- If you can’t find Apple Pie Moonshine, opt for a normal bottle of moonshine instead and add apple schnapps to your recipe.
- Brush your apple slices with lemon juice to keep them from browning.
- For an extra burst of sweet cinnamon flavour, use a teaspoon of infused simple syrup instead of ground cinnamon.
- Turn your Apple Pie Moonshine cocktail into a winter sipper. Leave out the ice, warm up all the ingredients in a saucepan and decant into a glass mug. Top with whipped cream and a dusting of cinnamon.
How to store the Apple Pie Moonshine
If you’re making your own apple pie moonshine, you can store it in an airtight jar in your fridge. It should last for up to 4 months.