Roll into summer the right way with our simply delicious Watermelon Tequila cocktail. All you need is juice from a ripe watermelon, a fantastic tequila, a little simple syrup, and a good squeeze of lime juice for a sublimely refreshing drink to enjoy with friends at your next cookout. It’s so easy that cutting the melon is about as close as you’ll get to breaking into a sweat—and it’s perfect to make into a pitcher or punch for easy serving.
A good quality melon should feel heavy for its size.
Tap on a watermelon. If you hear a deep hollow sound, it means it is ripe and ready to enjoy.
Watermelon pairs perfectly with spice, so serve these cocktails on Taco Tuesday.
Add the watermelon to the blender and blitz until just smooth
Strain the watermelon through a sieve and pour into a shaker or mason jar
Add a handful of ice, along with the tequila, lime, syrup and salt
Shake briefly until chilled and strain into a cocktail or coupé glass
Skewer 3 melon balls onto a toothpick and pop them into the glass to garnish. So pretty!
How to make a Watermelon Tequila cocktail
Our Watermelon Tequila recipe needs a blanco for its clean, zesty flavor. Choose a top-shelf one like Espolòn Blanco, as both complement a juicy watermelon perfectly. Add a splash of zesty fresh lime and simple syrup, and you’ve got one of the best tequila summer cocktails in your hands.
To make a quick watermelon juice, blitz fresh watermelon chunks in a blender and strain them through a sieve. Keep what you need for your drinks, then pour the rest into ice cube trays and freeze. Pop the frozen cubes into a Ziploc bag, get them back in the freezer, and store them for another occasion.
Quick and easy homemade simple syrup
Making cocktail syrup at home is super simple. Just add equal parts water and sugar (half a cup of each) to a saucepan and gently heat through, while stirring. It takes about 2-3 minutes to dissolve the sugar and then it’s done! Remove from the heat and cool completely before using. The leftovers can be stored in the fridge for up to a month. If you want more info on how to make your own simple syrup, be sure to read our easy syrup variations for cocktail making.
Tips for the perfect Watermelon Tequila cocktail
- The best way to cut up a watermelon and avoid making a mess with all the sticky juice is to cut your melon in half, then into wedges, with the skin on. Skin-side on the board, cut the melon lengthways down into the flesh, stopping at the white rind. Now turn it and cut horizontally in the same way. Carefully cut under the cubes to release them. Remove any seeds and your watermelon is ready to blend.
- Watermelons grow on the vine in the field so look out for a yellow spot where they rest on the ground. If it’s creamy yellow, then the melon is ripe and ready. If it’s white, it needs more ripening.
- Avoid shiny watermelons as they’re under-ripe. Instead, select dark and dull ones.
- Big webbing marks on the skin are a good sign of ripe melon.
- For the perfect serve, try a fun garnish. For more inspo, read 16 Creative Cocktail Garnish Ideas for your Next Cocktail Night.
- For an extra minty twist, muddle your melon with a few springs of mint.
- If you’re left with extra watermelon, make a delicious watermelon and feta salad with some arugula. Watermelon pairs really well with cheese so serve your cocktails with a tasty cheeseboard or any nibbles with a spicy kick!
You might also like: How to Pair Cocktails with Spicy Food